Sunday 10 March 2013

Evaluation 3: "What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?"



Transcript:


There are four main magazine publishers within the media industry, all of which brand very successful magazines. The first is Bauer Media, which is Europe’s largest privately owned publishing group and it’s based in Germany. It publishes over 300 magazines within 15 different countries as well as TV, online and on radio stations. Bauer Media’s aim is to focus on ‘personal relationships’ with engaged readers and listeners, being one main intention of the magazine. But, because Bauer Media already publish Kerrang and Q magazine, it could create a tough competition between them and my own as both magazines are very well-known, so this could potentially bring down the overall sales of my own and therefore it wouldn’t be as successful as it could be.
The next is IPC Media, which is currently the UK’s leading consumer magazine publisher. This publisher engages with two thirds of UK women and 42% of men. They publish a range of genres whether it be TV, music or fashion, unlike some other companies. Also, they create content for not just magazines but mobile, online, tablets and events. Similarly to Bauer Media, IPC publish NME which is another music magazine. As the layout of the NME magazine is fairly similar to my music magazine, again, this would create a competition and therefore it would be unwise for me to choose this company as my magazine’s publisher as it would decrease the popularity and buyers of my magazine.
            Conde Nast is another very successful publisher which publishes brands worldwide. It produces 18 consumer magazines, over 50 apps for mobile and tablet devices and 27 websites. Conde Nast’s publications are very audience-specific, mainly aimed at adult women. They appear extremely stylish and classy. Overall, I don’t think my magazine would fit into this category of style aswell as the language, because my magazine is younger with a different social class of language, therefore it wouldn’t appeal to the audiences of this publisher’s brands which potentially could affect the sales of my magazine massively.
            The National Magazine Company is another media industry publisher. It is very successful, being one of the UK’s leading companies along with having 20 magazine brands. This company also has many digital websites: menshealth.co.uk, allaboutsoap.co.uk and runnersworld.co.uk. I have concluded that this publisher would be best suited for my magazine as currently it doesn’t publish any music magazine, therefore my music magazine would appear different and unique to anything they have published before, therefore attracting more readers and buyers. I want to introduce new topics and a new genre to unfamiliar audiences to attract new buyers and give my magazine a different feel to it, standing out from the rest. Aswell as this, The National Magazine Company publish equal number of websites as well, so this means that my magazine could be online as well as print. This would work out well as my young target audience use technology/the internet as a very important aspect of their lives so this would work successfully. The National Magazine Company would like my magazine because its large target audience allows more people to not only read my magazine, but if it is published by this company then buyers may look into The National Magazine Company’s other magazines they have distributed, meaning that their other magazines’ popularity and buyers increase rapidly.
            I wouldn’t want my magazine to be published by a company called Miller Publishing for example because I have used a magazine called Vibe which this company published, as a style model for my own magazine. This means that there would be a lot of competition between my magazine and Vibe not only because they are of a similar appearance, but because they are of a similar genre too. This would mean that my magazine would have no chance to stand out, therefore decreasing its popularity and buyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment